Roasted Delicata Squash
Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 25-30 min.
Delicata squash is by far the easiest squash to work with...easy to slice, no need to remove the skin & quick to make. It's also absolutely delicious & so good for you since it's rich in vitamins & fiber.
It's wonderful prepared a variety of ways, but my favorite is simply roasted with just a few added ingredients.
- Delicata squash
- 1/2 TBSP Coconut oil
- Freshly grated cinnamon
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F. (You'll want to use the middle or top rack for roasting.)
- I think Delicata looks best cut into rings & it's pretty easy to do. Just slice the squash into rounds approx. 1/4-1/3 inch thick & then get rid of the seeds. (Or roast them separately.) I find that using a knife to cut out the seeds works the best, but you can use a spoon as well.
- Spread out all the rings on a platter or a couple of large plates.
- Brush each of the rings with coconut oil. Note: I generally try to reduce the amount of oil I use so this recipe includes a very small amount. You can increase the amount, but don't drown the squash. It doesn't need a lot of oil to shine.
- Sprinkle a very generous amount of cinnamon on top of each ring as well as a tiny bit of sea salt.
- Flip each of the rings over and repeat steps 4-6 placing each ring on a baking sheet when done. They should not overlap & it's best if they are not touching either to ensure a better roasted vegetable. Note: The ugliest baking sheets tend to be the best ones for roasting vegetables giving them a lovely dark color. The older the sheet, the better & don't use parchment paper.
- Roast for 10 min. & then check on the squash bottoms. If they're nicely browned & starting to blacken, flip them over to roast the other side. Otherwise, continue to let them roast just a bit longer. Once the other side begins roasting, check them often as you want them nicely roasted, not charcoal.
- You can serve immediately while piping hot or eat them as leftovers cold from the fridge. They'll be lovely either way...sweet, creamy & crunchy!